Sunday, June 5, 2011

A Displaced Girl's Guide to the Weekend

Well, I did NOT get a dog this weekend. You happy, Mom? I suppose it was for the best. A dog would not have fit into my weekend very well. The weather here demanded some appreciation and I soaked up enough sun to burn my kneecaps and shoulders and chest and back and tops of my feet. It will, as they say, definitely turn into a nice tan though. So, the awesome weather was a great thing. Because for some reason, there was a constant stream of my roommates' friends all weekend, which kind of just made me feel like I was intruding on whatever shenanigans were going on. And since Geo has been gone all weekend, I was feeling displaced in my own house. The odd man out. The lone wolf. It was kind of lame.

Anyway, so after years of searching, I FINALLY achieved my summer goal of having a friend with a boat. Liz is definitely my favorite friend now - sorry, boatless friends! I joined Liz and a few of her friends on her boat at Lake Minnetonka on Saturday. I love boats. They are fun and lovely and they can go fast and you can wakeboard behind one and drink a beer on one (as long as you aren't driving, duh). I guess I'm just a girl who's a sucker for an outboard motor. It's been a very long time since I could stretch out on a boat, too. I haven't had the luxury of being able to own my own, so Liz getting her little hands on one definitely benefits me the most. The day was cloudless and breezy and just perfection. After a post-sun nap to really let the sunburn sink in, I got up the guts to brave another strange new situation.

My friend Peter and his fiancee Katie are kind of actually like GEO'S friends - Peter and Geo have been friends since college. But I'm stealing them. On Saturday night, I went over to see their new house and hung out with a few more of "Geo's friends" and I think it's safe to say: I'm totally in on my own merit. When Peter texted me that they were having a BBQ and did I want to come over, I replied "Uh, you KNOW Geo's gone, right?" And he said "Uh, YEAH. So?" I said "Okay, but this is new and scary." And he said "Haha. Yes. Bring a lawn chair. We'll be out in the backyard." Well, I didn't bring a lawn chair, because I don't have one, and I highly doubt that if I brought one of our kitchen chairs it would have been suitable. But I went and had an awesome time. Also? I learned I'm actually pretty durn good at Bags, which is very important in life.

On Sunday, feeling a little down about random drama, I decided to treat myself to a Bruegger's Bagel. I never get real, full-fat bagels anymore. I get my fix with BagelThins and fat-free cream cheese, but it's never the same. I don't know what possessed me to, after spending a day in a BATHING SUIT, go all in on one, but whatever. I did. So I'm paying for my delicious bagel, and the very robust, older gentleman ringing me up says "I hope you don't think this is weird, but you have got the most beautiful eyes!" I asked that lovely, kind man to marry me. Fine, not really. But I did decide the trip was totally worth the extra calories.

When I came home, I was feeling all elated and lovely and hungry. After a brief respite of solitude, the group of girls walked in and my quiet time was over. I still needed more. So I dug my running shoes out of their home in the very back of my closet, and went for a super fast-paced walk (I wanted to say "run", but that would have been a lie) around the lake that's only four houses away from me. I haven't done that in waaaaay too long. I usually avoid the Lakes on nice days because it seems to attract all the jerkwads in packs. But I made an exception, and I'm glad I did. I got my vitamin D, more sun on my burn (seriously, it's going to be such a great tan), I listened to some great tunes, smelled some flowers and other nature-y things, and worked off (part of) that delicious bagel. Win win!

So despite the fact that I was missing Geo a little and my house has temporarily turned into a sorority house (vs. the frat house of the Glory Days), it was nice to get out and be able to do a bunch of things that I probably wouldn't have otherwise done. I would have been home, cleaning or doing laundry or watching a Bridezillas marathon and not doing any cleaning or laundry or something, which are all very well and good. But the sick tan I'll have in a couple of days will be well worth it.

Anyway, I'm cashed. It's late and I'm pooped. You guys have a great week, okay??? Do it!

1 comment:

SARAHABT said...

very funny...laughed out loud!!

what did this mean?

Also? I learned I'm actually pretty durn good at Bags, which is very important in life.

what is BAGS???