Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Sew Cool

I have been excited for an errand I ran tonight for like days. This weekend, during my recent binge on making throw pillows, I decided I needed to really get into sewing. Luckily, my mom is an all-star sewing person (I tried to write "sew-er" but it actually says "sewer", which is just not right) so I feel like I have the talent flowing through my veins.

Case in Point: When everyone learned how to sew in 7th grad PFLS (Personal and Family Life Sciences, a.k.a. Home Ec) we had to make a final project to prove that we could thread a bobbin and back stitch like a mutha. Every guy made pajama pants, and every girl made some tiny little shoulder bag.

Not Me.

I made The Weekender. It's a bigger bag that had two straps AND two round panels on the sides. Oh, AND A ZIPPER. I know, I know. I'm an overachiever. Want proof that I totally ruled?


That's right! I still have it, and it's still in excellent condition. Now that's what I call Quality Craftsmanship. So there's the proof that I am probably the world's best sewing person. Hence, my desire to rekindle my love affair with thread, needles and seam rippers.

ANYWAY! Back to the best errand ever. I stole an extra sewing machine from my mom and dad's house, but it didn't have the fun little pedal, so I needed to dig one up. Coincidentally, KIM needed to get a vacuum belt fixed. So, we went to this place that I'd always made fun of. It's a sewing machine AND vacuum repair store! What are the odds?! I figured it would be like a trip back in time, you know? Old timey repair place for old timey machines? AWESOME!

We go in, and the dude is listening to NPR. I don't know why, but I expected him to be listening to WWII coverage or something. Anyway, he looks up the part I need and gives me an awesome old timey solution: I have to get it online.

Boo. Pretty disappointed in the fact that not only was I unable to use a hay penny to pay for a sewing machine part, but I actually have to order it online, pay for shipping and WAIT for it to be delivered. The waiting is probably the only old timey thing about the whole process.

At any rate, even though the errand back in time didn't turn out quite as I had hoped, it was still good to get started on my new obsession. For now, I am going to use my Weekender as a place to store my sewing projects that have yet to be finished...and the circle is complete.

No comments: