Monday, January 23, 2012

When It's Drafty, We Get Crafty

Hey Squares, do me a solid, woudja? Take a look at the picture below and tell me what you see:


It's a window, right? Yeah, that's what a n00b would say. Well if you look reeeeeeally close, you'll maybe notice that I have covered that window in plastic. You can't notice it because I'm apparently freaky-good at the process.

I've never personally applied the plastic to windows, but it's what Minnesotans DO in the winter to keep the cold from gushing in drafty window frames and eating our skin while we sleep. Geo did it to our humongous windows in our old house, but without a boy around, I stepped up. I went to a HARDWARE store, MEASURED (sort of) the windows, TAPED the windows, STUCK the plastic on, and then - for reasons I still don't really get - ran my hair dryer all over the thing to somehow make it nice and sleek. Yeah, I'm basically a dude now. Where do I check my emotional hangups?

I used to stick socks around my window frames to fill in any gaps. Well, socks or pairs of underwear. Festive!

In my old office, the heat would regularly turn off on the coldest days of the year. Coincidence or clever money-saving technique - who's to say? Anyway, during those days, I'd dig in my desk drawer for a spare pair of socks I kept in there for unknown reasons and put them on my hands to warm them up. Sock hands!

My point is that clothing can be used for lots of things in the winter. This morning, before I left for work, I had to switch my boots to kick off all the snow under the wheels before using my coat sleeve to wipe off my windows. Oh! Then while I was changing my boots in the car while stopped at a stop light, I saw a car. ON FIRE. Minnesota is sooooo awesome.

Anyway, earlier tonight, my room was a brisk 62 degrees. And as much as I am a fan of the Unmentionables Window treatment, the plastic seems to be working. It is now...let's see...it's now 67.8 degrees!! Looks like it's time to take my sock mittens off and put my shorts on!

No comments: