Monday, December 19, 2011

Thith American Speech Impediment

Hi there. Does everyone on NPR's This American Life have some sort of speech impediment? Seriously, is that in the job application to be accepted to read a story on the air? I think it is.

Don't get me wrong. I love me some good ol' radio. I love listening to This American Life and learning a little something while listening to some soothing voices.

The voitheth are making me crazy though.

Every single episode I listen to has at least one person with what I call "lazy S syndrome". The lispy readings drive me bonkerth. I mean, I know a lot of the people on there are writers and weren't built for radio, but maybe TAL should have people read their stories for them.

You know how people say "You've got a face for radio?" Well, some of these people have a voice for miming.

I don't get it. How do you find THAT many people who cannot enunciate their S's? After a while, it drives me too nuts and I have to thtop lithening.

I'm worried that this is an epidemic. Is there an entire population of people who get together, decide to be super awesome writers, and then refuse to get some speech therapy? What if the Lazy S is some sort of mark of success in the writing world?

Well if that's the case, I'm totally willing to take my love of lazy behavior into the S world.

No comments: