Sunday, October 30, 2011

BOOOOO!

I may not be the only person who has a birthday pretty much every year - I'm not, right? - but it certainly felt like it this weekend. All eyes were on yours truly and it felt awesome. I had a small little party on Friday night and everyone ate grilled cheese, drank beer, and danced our tushies off to Dance Central (which, by the way was a HUGE HIT!) I had a rough day of recovery on Saturday, but that was fine. Totally worth it.

Today, the Vikings gave me an awesome WIN for a present, and then I had dinner with my family. I love family birthday parties. Delicious food, lots of laughs, and a group of people I love loads, all paying attention to me. Perfection!

In all seriousness, I really want to say a ginormous heap of thanks to all my family and friends who were able to share my birthday with me. And all the people who wished me well on Facebook and in the mail (thanks, Madeline and Geo!) were so thoughtful and I am so proud to have such amazing people in my life. Thank you to everyone!

So, while I was in recovery mode on Saturday, there were so many Halloween and horror movies on TV. I watched several of them (in between the Jersey Shore season 1 marathon), but I found myself constantly dozing off and losing interest in the Fright Nights. A girl can only watch so many zombie apocalypse scenarios, and even the homicidal maniacs on killing sprees of teenage girl lost their luster. I just can NOT get into the spirit this year.

It also probably didn't help that I don't even particularly like scary movies. I have terrible nightmares after watching horror movies that have a bad guy in a mask. I don't know what it is about masks, but they scare the bejeezus out of me. All the Saw films, Friday the 13th, Scream - you know what I mean? I HATE masks. So I've tried to watch some of those "paranormal" scary movies, but those just made me jump at every creaking door.

Then I tried to settle for the zombie apocalypse movies. Blah, blah, blah, slow-moving undead bodies, shotguns, and the pretty girl with the half-torn shirt screaming bloody murder. Sure, that genre has a healthy sense of humor about itself, but it just got old after the forty or fiftieth close-up shot of yellow, glowing eyes of the reanimated.

So I gave the whole "spooky Halloween" thing a chance, but I just didn't have my heart in it. Tonight, though, when my nieces were describing their costumes for tomorrow night and trick-or-treating, I realized that I like CUTE Halloween, not SCARY. I like candy and funny costumes and the Monster Mash song. Not screaming witches, ghosts and blood. Man, I wish It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown would have been on yesterday.

But I hope you all have a fabulous, safe Halloween this year. And if you dress(ed) up and had a bomb costume, send in a pic to pharonsquare@gmail.com and I'll post it on the blog tomorrow! Who knows, maybe you'll win a treat! (Or maybe it's just a trick...)

No comments: