Monday, June 18, 2012

Sweat Shop

Man, it is AWESOME living on the 6th floor of a building. The views, the distance from street traffic...it's just amazing.

Hey, you know what's NOT amazing? When the only elevator in the building is...dun dun dunnnnn...Out Of Service.

I didn't notice it until tonight when I was on my way out to the gym. Thaaaat's right, I pried myself away from the cool comfort of my apartment to go sweat in a room full of other sweaty people. While it was 92 degrees outside. Gross! But, I'm just a baller like that. Anyway, I was in a hurry, so I only barely registered the OUT OF ORDER sign on the elevator doors. I shrugged and bopped down 6 floors to class. 

You caught that part about "barely registering the sign" right? Because after class, I had the genius idea to do some grocery shopping and even decided to pick up a bottle (or 4) of vino. I got out of my car and carried my water bottle, groceries, wine, and boxing gloves to the front door of my building. I had barely managed to get my key in the door when I re-registered the yellow "OUT OF ORDER" sign on the elevator inside.

I briefly considered moving back to Claire's right then and there. All I REALLY need is food and wine, right? I could just move right now. 

Could I leave my food in the car? Ugh...no. Milk. And eggs. And it was still like 204 degrees outside. I certainly couldn't leave my gloves behind, because, you know, the cool factor. So I decided to go for it.

I was on the 2nd floor when I remembered a story a friend of mine told me. I think it was my former co-worker Kathleen who told me a story about her friend who went to a spinning class. She was all sweaty and gross and when she got home, she decided to clean her attic on a whim. The first sweat reabsorbed and then the second round of sweat like mixed with it or whatever, and she ended up like getting really sick or hospitalized or something.

I was still on the 2nd floor when I broke out in a panic-sweat. The more I tried to stop sweating, the more I seemed to sweat. What's a girl to do? 

It took me 45 minutes to get from the 2nd floor to the 3rd floor because I didn't want to sweat and the air was getting so thin I could barely breathe. I stopped and looked longingly at the floor I COULD have lived on, but Nooooooooo...SOMEone (me, duh) needed a "sick view of the city." I wanted to cry, but didn't want to waste what little water I had left in my body. 

When I got to the 5th floor, my pants were noticeably looser. I had the start of a tiny beard growing and I had befriended a volleyball I found and named Wilson. 

At the 6th floor, I was ready to collapse. It was the year 2015 already and I had missed the birth of my first child and our first Martian president. But, I made it. I made it into my apartment and even managed to get the now-expired milk and eggs into the refrigerator. I threw my gloves across the room and took a much-needed swig of lukewarm white wine. I started peeling off clothes out of fear of reabsorbing a second round of sweat and took a shower immediately.

Refreshed and finally after catching my breath, I sat down to set my phone timer for my dinner. I finally allowed myself to shed a tear when I realized I had left my phone in my car. 

2 comments:

sarah ABT said...

I had the start of a tiny beard growing and I had befriended a volleyball I found and named Wilson.

hysterical....

Blogger said...

There is shocking news in the sports betting industry.

It's been said that any bettor needs to look at this,

Watch this now or stop betting on sports...

Sports Cash System - Robotic Sports Betting Software.