Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Christmas Wish / Give Me Your Money

And now, for something COMPLETELY different...

Yesterday I waxed prolific on cauliflower. I know you're all "Pharon, that post totes changed my life!" But I know - and YOU know - that it was the typical nonsense I usually spew. And I love that you love that particular brand of idiocy, but today is different. Today I am going to be serious for a sec. (Or, as serious as I CAN be.) Today, I rode an emotional rollercoaster to work. How, you ask?

Because 'tis the season for the KDWB Christmas Wish.

Unless you are a hater of top 40 music and clever drive time radio banter, you know about the Christmas Wish. For those who don't, here's the gist:

People write in to KDWB (our local radio station) with a truly heartbreaking story of a loved one along with a "Christmas wish" for them. Then the DJs - who are usually crass and brash and toeing the line between cheesy and hysterical - read the letters on the air. Instead of the usual celebrity bashing gossip-fest, they take time to be sensitive and caring for the people in their community. (Hey! That's just like THIS blog RIGHT NOW!)

Then they surprise the clueless subject of the letter, who is someone who is really suffering, and grant a Christmas Wish. The recipients are the most grateful people on the planet, and can be counted on to say something like "I may be down, but I'm not out and I have the support of wonderful friends and family who help me through [enter devastating personal trauma here]." Cue tears.

Then the DJs announce that the nominee will be given loads of toys, or money towards their car payments, or furniture for their apartment, or an appointment with a dentist, or something similar. Lives are changed, people are grateful, I'm sobbing.

Oh, did I mention the ambiance music? See, playing in the background during this whole thing is quiet holiday-slash-depressing music that only amplifies the emotional depth of the whole thing. As soon as it starts, I know I'm in for a teary drive.

The point of all this is that today they held a Christmas Wish-a-thon. They granted a Christmas Wish every hour, so instead of one big story, I heard loads of smaller (albeit still very sad) stories. It worked. I came home, logged on to the KDWB website and made a donation.

It wasn't a big one, and I'm honestly not trying to show off (whatever...I am...a LITTLE). But the point is that today I heard three stories of people who really needed help. And they weren't even ASKING for it. It came from their friends or family who wanted to help THEM. I can appreciate that feeling. I know that when my sister went through the tragedy of losing her daughter, I would have done anything to help her. I guess I just want to do my part to Pay It Forward. So many people gave donations to Faith's Lodge on her behalf, and I'll always be grateful for that.

So today I decided to give money to a bunch of strangers who usually find fart jokes funnier than even I do because they'll use it to help someone who really needs it. They'll give winter clothes and toys to the kids of a single mother who got in an accident and can't work. They'll give a vacation to a family who suffered the devastating blow of losing a parent.

The point is, good things - TANGIBLE things - are being done with this money. It's immediate and it's helping people who really need it but would never ask for it. I'm really hoping that at least some of you take a few mins and donate your beer money for the week to a complete stranger who could really use it. It's the holiday season, people.

That's it. That's my pitch to you. Give money to Christmas Wish or Faith's Lodge or whoever you want. But really? Just help someone out if you can.

Yay! I'm helping!

No comments: