Sunday, May 1, 2011

What the Smurf?!

I think I can safely say that I've caught up on my sleep after waking up in the middle of the night to watch the Royal Wedding. (If you missed my captivating recap of the event, definitely check it out. It's probably some of my best work.) Anyhoozle, I slept like 1,000 hours this weekend. It felt great. But my lethargy affected me in some negative ways. I ate everything I could find, managing to eat exactly zero fruits.

But the worst part was that I got sucked into a game that I had done nothing but make fun of for, like, the past two weeks. Geo started playing it and I constantly made fun of him, explaining at length and in great detail how lame he is. Then whoops! I found myself buying the stupes Smurf Village app on my iPod, and my days revolved around when I was supposed to harvest the smurfberries or whatever. It's not the first time I've been briefly consumed with a stupid game, either. It's just probably the most embarrassing.

Essentially, the Smurf game is just a different version of Farmville. You build little smurf huts and grow crops and play little mini games. And you get like prizes or whatever, and you just keep building on to your little village. Geo would say things like "Yes! My watermelons are finally done!" or "I gotta get up early and finish building my bridge." And I'd be all "I think I'm going to be single now." And then, yesterday I had to call Geo downstairs to ask him whether or not I should build a smurf house or send a smurf off to trick Gargamel. AND I got Prinna into it too. Ugh. This is just like the time I got obsessed with Diner Dash.

Diner Dash is a game where you just like wait tables as this crazy motivated waitress named Flo. You seat tables, take orders, serve food, then clear the tables. Over and over and over and over and over. I got so sucked in to it that I could easily spend 2 hours playing at a time. I played non-stop for like 3 days and then I got sick of it and deleted it forever. That's my game-playing M.O. Play until I'm sick of myself, then delete it and move on.

When I was younger, we had these two computer games that I was OBSESSED with. One was called Police Quest where you were a police officer (duh) and the other was called Life and Death and it was a surgery game. In all it's pixelated glory, the game gave people the chance to perform surgeries like removing kidney stones. I never even passed the first level (it was really freakin' hard) but I'd play it for hours. Then eventually, I'd lose interest completely and never play again.

So I'm guessing this is just the latest in a long line of brief stints of my obsessive game playing. But I've made it through everything from Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? to Bejeweled and am still relatively sane. I mean, it's not like I stay in on Saturday nights to play these games! Oh wait. I stayed in on Saturday with Geo and his friend KG to play the game Settlers of Catan. Idiot! I have GOT to get this stupid game out of my system. I really don't even LIKE the game. On the other hand, I DO love smurfs. I think I just have to keep playing until, I don't know, I win or something? Then again, there IS NO WINNING IN SMURF VILLAGE. You just keep going and going and going. And Geo's snarky "I told you so!" comments are just salt in the wound.

As if to add insult to injury, Geo just came downstairs and asked me to "harvest his artichokes in 15 minutes" because he was leaving to play Settlers at his friends house. And I'm going to do it because he left me all his mini-games to play (you can only play once a day). How romantic, right? Oh well, back to my current Time Suck. Real smurfin' cool...

No comments: