Thursday, March 29, 2012

The Password is: Taxing

I'd like to start off by assuring everyone that I had big plans to be productive tonight. I worked through lunch to leave a bit early, even. Despite the lovely weather, I came up to my room and got ready to camp out in front of my computer for the night. That's right, dudes. it's TAX TIME!!!!

Or so I thought...

Because I couldn't remember the stupid dumb idiotic combination of my user name and password - for a freakin' site I visit ONCE A YEAR - I couldn't log in. So, I clicked "I can't remember my user name and/or password" and then couldn't answer the security question right, either. BLASTED!

Eventually, I cracked the code to have them send me my info. Only they haven't yet.

All night, I put off projects because I was all "As soon as I get that email, I'm FILING MY TAXES like a boss!" So I kept waiting, kept playing DrawSomething with my aunt Sarah, kept not getting the email. Now, here it is, 9 p.m. and I've accomplished nothing. Except a nap. I got that done.

You know what would rule? NOT HAVING TO REMEMBER A BAZILLION USER NAMES AND PASSWORDS. I mean, come ON! I'm sick of changing my passwords every other time I log in somewhere. I'm sick of entering a new password only to read the error message "YOU CANNOT REPEAT AN OLD PASSWORD." What!? How many combinations of numbers, symbols, capital letters, and lowercase letters can one girl remember?! Oh, and I can use a semi-colon, but I can't use a period?! WTF?!

I once read in The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell (I'm so interesting!!) that phone numbers are 7 digits long because that's the most amount of numbers one person can easily remember, while also offering the most options. So, can someone tell me WHY passwords have to be EIGHT characters long? According to my awesome mental math, that's one digit too long.

So, here I am, at the mercy of a delayed auto-generated email. Seriously?! It's been FOUR HOURS! Maybe the network administrator guy forgot his password to get into their system...

I wasted a whole night, I guess. Now I have to waste part of my weekend doing my taxes. LAME. What do YOU guys have planned this weekend? Resetting all your user name and passwords, like me? Don't be jealous...

No comments: