Monday, May 13, 2013

Minnesota NICE!

So, I know that my trip to Alabummer has likely left you all in a state of curiosity. Was it fun? Was it a bummer? Did I make use of the stupes running shoes and sports bra that I packed? I know, you're all on the edges of your seats. But it was great. Geo graduated, I cried just the tiniest bit when the dean called his name and he swooped across the stage, so proud and accomplished. And still so good-looking. :) It was a magnificent weekend. And yes, I worked out twice.

But the news today is that the Minnesota Senate approved same-sex marriage in Minnesota.

I'm so proud. I really am. I actually cried a little bit. I don't use this blog to post political messages, well, EVER, but this doesn't feel like a political message. It feels like an "ABOUT TIME!" message. Tomorrow, the governor will sign the bill and people all over Minnesota will be able to marry the person that they love come August and it just feels RIGHT. I so am in favor of people marrying the person that they love, and as a girl who is planning a wedding right meow, I feel like I'm in a good place to give some advice to any couple - ANY COUPLE! HOORAY! - who is planning on getting married.

* Everything always costs more than you think it does. Like, 10 times more.
* Planning a wedding is super fun, but it's incredibly hard and stressful and you may or may not call it off 3 or 4 times, but DON'T.
* Suddenly, you WILL care about napkins and chair covers. Even though you promised yourself you never would. Somehow it will suddenly become the most important thing in your life.
* No matter how chill of a person you think you are, you will either say or yell "But it's MY wedding" way more than a normal person ever should.
* Yes. You SHOULD have hired a wedding coordinator.
* There definitely IS such a thing as "too many sequins."
* You will have nightmares and dreams about the wedding. Every single night.
* You will need so much more help than you think you'll need. Don't be rude to friends and family.
* When you get in a fight with family or your fiance or your friends about this detail or that one, remember that you will likely never even notice the thing that you are about to lose friends over.
* It's hard.
* But it's worth it.

So on this auspicious occasion, I want to cry out of pride but also out of stress for all the people who can finally start planning a wedding.

On a serious note, Minnesota (yes, I'm addressing a whole state here) you are my hero and giving people the right to marry is so totally Minnesota Nice. I love you, Minnesota.

No comments: