Sunday, June 9, 2013

Snoozefest

Well, it is truly amazing what a person can get done from the comfort of their own bed. Allow me to elaborate as I can now consider myself an absolute expert in the art form. After working late on Thursday night finishing all the wedding invites, mailing them on Friday and having an impromptu dance party with my pals Claire and Kelsey on Friday night, I was on a roll. Geo was gone all weekend, so I wanted to keep tackling tasks.

But, like, I didn't want to get out of bed to get it all done. It was a dilemma I started struggling with around 11:30 on Friday night, so I took the initiative and did some preplanning for the weekend.

I put two bottles of water next to my bed, plugged my computer in put it on my nightstand and made sure I had all my most important remotes within an arms reach. I was ready for Saturday.

I woke up to a totally dreary day, making it completely acceptable to spend it in bed. I rolled around for 45 minutes or so before I got comfortable enough to start the day. Which I did by selecting the 2nd season of Arrested Development on Netflix. I flipped open my computer and started checking things off my To Do list.

I caught up on the news/People.com. I did some online shopping for bridesmaid gifts. I paid some bills. I sent out some lives to people on Candy Crush Saga. I started booking hair stylists for the wedding and looked into some honeymoon destinations. I spent some quality time on Reddit.

In between shopping for shoes and learning how to do a cool new braid, I realized I had made a huge rookie mistake. I was hungry. Very hungry. I had plenty of water but nothing of sustenance within reach. I was up to my neck in cozy blankets and my head had made the perfect head dent in my perfectly stacked pillows, and I did not want to get out of bed/take a break from work. I had to get creative.

Now, if you're like me, you have a random bag of granola bars/candy/breath mints that have accumulated since Christmas. And if you're ALSO like me, you keep this bag in your empty suitcase under your bed. In case of a sugar-level emergency. This was one such emergency. I leaned out of bed and pulled the suitcase out, grabbed the bag and I feasted on Riesen candies, a granola bar and 3 or 4 mints for dessert. Disaster averted.

After all my work and my very satisfying "lunch" I was sleepy. Luckily, I was in bed so I just took a nap. I woke up, rolled over and did some research on Pinterest about place cards, all while continuing to make my way through Arrested Development. I'm nothing if not a multi-tasker.

But eventually, the laying down started messing with my head. I kept feeling like I was moving, but I obviously wasn't. My leg started twitching. I started googling Bed Sores. My glasses were making me dizzy and I ached for my contacts, which were all the way in the bathroom. Speaking of bathroom, all that water was not helping anything. Oh, and try as I might, I could not find a way to get a bra fitting online (which I needed to do before getting the violently aggressive undergarments for a wedding dress) so I knew I needed to do something drastic. I had to get out of bed.

I thought about it for 45 minutes or so before I decided that yes, I needed to get out of bed. In, like, another minute or two.

An hour later, I woke up from a second nap and resigned myself to getting out of bed. I literally rolled out of bed and onto the floor - which yes, hurt very much - and then crawled to the bathroom where I turned on the shower and finally started my day. Just in time for dinner.

No comments: