Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Boston

I'm not the kind of girl who knows what to say in awkward situations. I don't have a charming ease about me or a quiet understanding or an inspirational word of support. I truly wish I was better at that, especially in light of recent events. I've been watching the Boston Marathon nightmare and wish I had something to say, like Patton Oswalt did on Facebook. Something real and moving, something wise and reassuring.

But I am not Patton Oswalt, or any other person who has managed to say something even remotely hopeful. Far from it. I am a bumbling, nervous girl who would rather make an awkward joke than to try and take a stab at sounding mature about serious topics. I think that's okay, I mean we are not all poets or inspirational leaders. Some of us are just Pharons.

So I'm not gonna sit here and try and come up with something important to say. It would be a waste of your time, and (more importantly) my time. (See how I do? With the awkward joking?)

I'll just leave you with this. I went to Boston when I was young. My aunt Cindi lives in Massachusetts with her family, and I remember we went back-to-school shopping in the Big City while we were taking our yearly trip out Rhode Island to visit my mom's family. It was at some point during that trip when I decided that I wanted to move to Boston after college. I loved it and decided I belonged there, even though something called "rent" was crazy-high (whatever that meant). But I was probably 13 when I decided that. I try and remember what I loved so much about it and what had made such a significant impression on me to carry that plan with me for like a decade.

And the only thing I can remember - and I remember it clear as day - was the Gap store. It was a flagship store in Boston and it was like 100 levels. I thought it was the most amazing thing I had ever seen. And honestly? That Gap store was one of the best landmarks I ever remember seeing in my young life.

So I guess all there is to say is that Boston, you even make the Gap seem magical. And for that, and so much more, you should be proud.

No comments: