Sunday, January 2, 2011

La-Z Girl

I’m actually nervous to be back at work tomorrow. I spent the last TWO WEEKS off, and I only used my alarm clock like twice to wake up. I’m petrified that I will not wake up on time. I’m scared that I won’t have any clean clothes to wear, or that I’ll forget my iPod or my phone or something. Tomorrow it’s back to our regularly scheduled program of work, deadlines, showering, and grown up conversations. Also, I’m still pretty sure most companies haven’t adopted a Mandatory Siesta yet, so my schedule of 3 little naps throughout the day will suffer greatly.

The glaringly obvious theme of my staycation was straight up Laziness. That's right, folks. The jig is up. I was that terrible four-letter word: LAZY. There were a couple days that I legitimately felt guilty for spending the whole day in pajamas. I had some pretty ambitious plans for myself that included things like cleaning my room, doing laundry, and reading a couple books. I didn’t do any of it. So, a couple people made the annoying comment, “Haven’t you DONE anything today?” I wanted to be like, “Yes, I’ve done exactly what I absolutely CAN’T do during a typical work week. I’ve relaxed and accomplished nothing.” Why does this behavior get such a bad wrap? Tell me, people!

Think about it. We work hard Monday-Friday, juggle a social life and mundane activities like grocery shopping, fixing up the house, and all crazzap, all while looking forward to weekends that we pack full of “fun“ things we don‘t have time for during the week. Who decided it was such a bad thing to spend our precious time off doing NOTHING? I mean, it’s not like I exactly NEGLECTED anything all that serious. Sure my room is a pigsty, and I decided to buy new socks instead of just doing laundry, but so what? I watched movies, slept past 9 a.m. every day, painted my nails, spent way too much time on websites like Failblog and TMZ, and just because I’ve done all that from the same spot on my couch, I’m like a pariah.

It definitely didn’t help that most of my friends were out of town, or worked all day when I did some of my best lounging. There were days that I met up with a friend for lunch or drinks, or went shopping or whatever, but at the end of the day, I just felt worse about spending too much money. There really aren’t that many cool things to do in Minnesota in the winter that don’t require a credit card and 20% tip. When it comes right down to it, I’m making an economically responsible decision to do things like eat spoonfuls of peanut butter rather than go out for a nice dinner.

I’m just kind of dreading going back to work and explaining to people that for almost 14 days straight, I had a daily internal battle as to whether or not I’d brush my teeth in the morning. Or that I watched the same HBO movie three times because there’s just nothing on TV at 1 in the afternoon. Crazy fun, right?!

I guess I don’t really care what other people think. To each her own, right? The only thing, though, is I had big plans to go to a buttload of matinees all week. I never get to go to daytime movies, so I really wanted to catch up on that. I didn’t go to ONE, though. Geo and I kept planning on seeing Black Swan, but some random thing always thwarted our daytime movie plans. From having to stay home and wait for our new oven and refrigerator to be delivered, to me sleeping in past the 12:20 movie start time, we just kept not going.

When is our next holiday? Flag Day? Do we get that off? If we do, I’m definitely going to go to a movie THAT day. Plan big, people. Well, wish me luck tomorrow. I’ve already got my Bus Bag packed with a new desk calendar, my iPod charger, and my new umbrella, and I have my lunch all ready to go. It feels like I’m going to my first day of school. I’ve even got new boots to wear. I hope you guys have a great Monday, and keep sending in your movie entries for the Cheesy Movie Contest!! I was going to finalize the awesome t-shirt design this week, but obviously I didn’t get around to it. Trust that it’ll be worth it though! Good luck this week, people. Get out there and make me proud.

4 comments:

sarahabt said...

good luck tomorrow...do you need a wake up call??

Pharon Square said...

Haha, thanks Sarah, but I think between my phone alarm, regular alarm, and TV alarm, I should be able to work it out!!

Granmaman said...

Can't wait to read a blog about your first day back at work! I have been doing "nothing" since I retired 10 years ago and have enjoyed every minute!

JessiferSeabs said...

I was off for one week and did absolutely nothing. Well, one day I cleaned part of Mike's house, earning me the girlfriend-of-the-year award, but other than that... kinda like you, a whole lotta lazy. It felt good. Of cousre, now i want another week off to do all the stuff I didn't do last week and recover from teh stress of the holidays. Such is life.