Tuesday, August 24, 2010

I've Got Spirits, Yes I Do! I've Got Spirits, How 'Bout YOU!?

I went to a psychic at the Aquatennial Block Party in Minneapolis the summer after my freshman year of college. She told me I would be a fashion designer, that I would meet my husband in college, and that I would have twins “because multiples run in my family, don‘t they, deary?”. So far: 0 for 3. But the woman behind the crackled card table couldn’t have been more believable. She wore a SCARF, on her HEAD! She had rings on each finger and turquoise eye shadow. After I forked over the $10, she asked me my name and rolled her eyes into the back of her head for a minute or so before smiling knowingly. It was so clear, all of a sudden. My entire future spilled out of her mouth like oil. And it was my perfect future.

But I didn’t have much of a poker face back then, and my ginormous smiles and anxious nods probably helped her tell me exactly what I wanted to hear. I didn’t realize that I was in the midst of a fraudulent psychic. Then tonight, I talked to Madeline who visited Allison DuBois, who is NOT a psychic, but a Medium. (The TV show “Medium” is based on her life.) Anyhoo, DuBois claims to have the ability to contact the spirits of those who have passed, and harness their energy in order to guide those of us on Earth. Madeline got the opportunity to ask her a few questions, and the responses were spot on. I think.

Now, as I’ve mentioned before, I’m a skeptic when it comes to pseudo-science. You just can’t scientifically prove someone’s abilities to speak to spirits. It’s like trying to prove that I was just thinking about a purple fish with freckles. So, I was definitely skeptical when Madeline was telling me about her session with Allison. I mean, there really isn’t anyway to prove what WOULD have happened in someone‘s life. People also tend to hear what they want to hear when they seek out someone like Allison DuBois. So, I have my doubts.

But sometimes you just can’t argue when someone you just met can tell you your own secrets back to you. If someone said to me “I’m feeling an energy from you, like a walleye with melanoma. Or freckles.” I would freak! And sometimes you just need to hear some vindication about your life, and that you‘re headed in the right direction. Proven or not, I’m definitely a believer that people who have passed away look over us. Plus, I’m pretty sure there is a ghost who haunts me and follows me around tripping me. That’s the only possible explanation for the number of times I trip in a day.

Then again, I’m definitely not a fashion designer. But maybe it’s like getting a tattoo. If you visit a cartoony lady on the street for a tattoo, you almost certainly won’t get the same results as going to Kat Von D. The lady on the street could give you “NO REGETS” instead of “NO REGRETS”. I went to a sketchy woman and got a sketchy “reading”. Maybe Allison DuBois is the real McCoy. I don’t know. I’m not a mind reader. But is anybody?

No comments: