Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Happy holidays from the Pharon Squares!

Ah...'tis the season to start getting loads of adorable Christmas (sorry, HOLIDAY) cards in the mail. I love getting these cards. I do. Everyone looks so bright and...merry. I love getting them and taping them up to a wall and thinking "Hmm. My friends and family sure clean up nice. Not a hint of crazy in any of their pics!"

Okay, so while I do love getting these cards, I also think it's a titch weird. The only people who send these cards have something to showcase in their pics. Their kids. Their wedding. Their pets (shudder). What, do you guys think you're better than me? Prettier than me? More interesting than me?

(Disclaimer: I couldn't send out wedding pics for a Christmas card because we already used a pic for thank you cards. Also, we haven't sent out all our thank you cards yet.)

Fine. You probably are more interesting and prettier than me. You probably have some adorable picture of some wrinkly baby or a pudgy dog...or a wrinkly dog and a pudgy baby...and it's probably so cute that I'll tape it on my wall for a couple weeks and walk past it thinking things like "What a super awesome family. I should probably change out of these socks I've been wearing for 3 days."

I've always loved my family's Christmas cards. We've got a huge family now, so it's like hilarious to send out a picture of 412 people to others being like "Here's our family this year. Yup, there's a few more people in there, but even WE can't keep track of everyone's names."

But as a kid, it was usually just me and my brothers and sisters and I still love those pictures. They are proof that my parents had gotten the five of us kids to stand in clean clothes long enough to actually document the event. My dad would snap pics while my mom would wrangle the five hooligans. We'd punch each other, step on each others toes and call each other "putz" while my parents silently wondered how easy it would be to run away from us and head for Aruba. But every year, the glossy picture would be sent out with holiday well wishes, and we'd look like an adorable, well-mannered bunch of kids. I don't know how my parents did it, but they always made us look good and worthy of being taped onto the wall.

I asked Geo if he wanted to take a Christmas card picture this year and he gave me a resounding No. He was like "People know what we look like." And he's right. But I don't want to rob you fine people of getting a little glimpse into what my wonderful life has been like lately. So I DID make a Christmas card this year documenting me at my finest, and it would be a crime not to share this with you all. Feel free to print it out and tape it up wherever you'd like. Happy holidays, nerds!


No comments: