Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Sun and smoke: Evil elements

So, next week I'm heading out to Vegas for a bachelorette party for my dear, dear friend, Madeline. I'm physically in no condition to be in Vegas. Let's face it...Minnesotans take a little more time than the average person to adjust to exposing any sort of pasty white skin after being tucked behind sweatpants and sweaters all winter. So yesterday was super nice and sunny. I sat on our deck (which I LOVE)  to try and rejuvenate myself and remind myself what air feels like on skin. Unfortunately, I ended up with a majorly uneven, raging sunburn on my shoulders. If you're following me on Instagram, you've seen the proof.

But yeah...I had forgotten that sun can COLOR skin whilst warming it. I had on a black tank top, but forgot to shift when the sun shifted, hence the VERY unbalanced and burny color I got. The point is, I have no idea what will happen to my skin and body in Vegas. So, I decided tonight to focus on my money-maker. My face.

See, I've learned to anticipate its clever surprises and hilarious balance of wrinkles and acne. I like to keep it protected from the sun (and makeup), so I'd like to think my face is the one factor that won't ruin everyone's pictures. I took the opportunity tonight to try and perfect a classic makeup technique that I figure I will just really rely on during my Vegas trip.

The smokey eye.

It's allegedly "easy." It's allegedly "chic and sophisticated." So I checked out this easy tutorial on YouTube. The girl is gorgeous, and I'd like to look just like her. All it takes is some eye makeup, right? Anyway, the vid is 10 minutes long, so you don't need to watch it, but this is supposed to be the end result:



I started with this hot piece of ace:
 Twenty five minutes later? NAILED IT.
Oh yeah...check out the way that the black eyeshadow darts out of the corner of my eyes like a dirty exhaust pipe. I used 6 different eyeshadows to achieve this very advanced look of "OMG, are you okay!?" I'm particularly proud of the clever way I've applied my fake eyelashes in a U shape. It really accentuates that extreme V line I made with the black eyeshadow to make my eyes go UP instead of being all "not up" and sad. I know...miraculous illusion.

Well, looks like I'm all set for Vegas! I've got the unfortunate sunburn, the killer eye makeup routine...what more could a girl need?!

P.S. Geo just got home from some extracurricular activity he does and said "I can't take you seriously. You like the worst Black Swan ever." Score!

No comments: