Monday, July 12, 2010

Fantastic Mr. Fox...and other bedtime stories


I do not know what my problem is. I have, once again, stayed up too late on a school night. I know I will pay dearly for the tonight’s debauchery. And this all suddenly seems very odd to me, considering the fact that I used to thrive on late nights, then cram a quick sleep session in before getting up and going to class, as if the shut-eye was merely an afterthought. Sheesh, what has happened to me? Oh, and the picture of that animal up there? I'll explain in a second...

Tonight, after a long day at work, my boyfriend Geo took me out for an awesome dinner (if you ever find yourself in the Twin Cities, go check out Tavern on France…nom nom nom) and then we managed to work 18 holes of mini golf in before heading out to meet a couple friends for a quick drink. Somewhere between the jeans-stretching dinner and the fox we saw in the parking lot of the mini golf course (See? It's relevant), I managed to convince myself that “hey, it’s Monday. I’ll have the whole rest of the week to catch up on sleep.” But I know I won’t. I know I shall suffer the consequences of inadequate sleep until Saturday morning. But turn down a date night and sitting outside enjoying a Stella Artois with some long-lost friends? No, I cannot do those kinds of things. Not yet, anyway.

But I noticed that when I stopped my car to take pictures of said fox, I wanted to just lay my head down on my steering wheel and call it a night. And I briefly had that thought that lots of people sleep in their cars, right? Probably because, like me, they have just enjoyed a huge dinner and a relaxing stroll through the lush links of a mini golf course on a perfect summer night. I feel their pain.

I can tell you right now, that the outfit I’ll wear tomorrow may not match. My make up routine will suffer. Greatly. My hair, if washed, will be thrown up in a ponytail, and not even one of those ponytails that’s all sleek and shiny. It’ll be wavy and frizzy. My head will be racing all day from the inevitability of too much coffee, and it’s just not gonna be pretty. But, I guarantee you, I have not learned my lesson. I have already reasoned with myself that 11:30 p.m. is just not that late, and I only think it’s late because I go to bed too early on all the other nights. Will I have a different story to tell myself tomorrow at 10 a.m. when I’m begging my eyes to stay open? Yes. Will I re-rationalize everything all over again the next time 10 p.m. comes and goes and I’m nowhere near my bed? Life wouldn’t be the same if I didn’t.

Alright, I’m going to bed, but not before I really explain the picture of this really tiny, scrawny fox. We saw him scarfing down a double cheeseburger someone tossed in the parking lot of an office building. Geo said he probably had rabies. I think he was just enjoying a bedtime snack before hunkering down in his fox hole for a little snooze. But it was totally the weirdest thing I’ve seen in suburbia in a long, long time. Enjoy!

No comments: